7. EVALUATION OF ANTIOXIDANT ACTIVITY OF PROTEIN ENRICHED CRANBERRY WHEY BEVERAGE by CHAVDA, V.R1., MODI, R. B2., RAMESH, V3 AND PARMAR, M.P1
The study was aimed at evaluating the antioxidant capacity of whey protein enriched cranberry fortified whey beverage for scavenging of ABTS, DPPH radicals and FRAP. Addition of different ingredients were optimized by preparing cranberry beverage with different concentration of whey protein (0.5, 1.0, 1.5 %), cranberry concentrate (1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 %), Sugar (8, 10, 12%). The pH of the beverage was adjusted to 3, 4 and 5. The products were optimized based on sensory scores by semi training sensory panel using 9 point hedonic scale. It was found that the product prepared with 0.5 % whey protein, 10 % sugar, 2 % cranberry concentrate had better sensory scores as compared to other products. The experimental variables involved in the process such as cranberry concentrate (%), whey protein (%), sugar (%) and pH, were further evaluated using response surface methodology. The suggested RSM solution for optimization of cranberry whey beverage comprises of 2.24% cranberry concentrate, 0.60% whey protein, 10.03% sugar and 3.36 pH. The optimised beverage was further assessed for its physico-chemical characteristics, sensory quality and antioxidant capacity. Storage studies were conducted at 7°C and 37°C for four weeks for accessing the stability of antioxidants. The percent total solid, protein, ash and carbohydrate content of formulated whey protein enriched cranberry whey beverage was 18.52±0.25, 0.62±0.03, 0.73±0.02 and 17.17 respectively. The antioxidant capacity in terms of ABTS radical scavenging assay was 3.48±0.15 ?Mol TE / ml, which was relatively higher than that of FRAP method (3.12±0.02 ?Mol TE / ml). However, lower value (1.53±0.08 ?Mol TE / ml) was found with DPPH method. The total phenolic content of the beverage was found to be 2.92±0.01 mg/100g. During storage, ABTS values decreased significantly (p<0.05) during 2 week of storage, whereas the FRAP and DPPH values significantly (p<0.05) decreased after 3 weeks of storage at 7°C, whereas, the product storage at 37°C was stable for two weeks. Thus, whey beverage with enhanced antioxidant activity can be prepared by using cranberry and whey protein concentrate.
KEYWORDS: Whey Protein Concentrate (WPC), Cranberry Concentrate, Antioxidant Capacity, Total Phenolic Content, Free radials.
How to Cite
Authors retain all their rights to the published works, such as (but not limited to) the following rights;
- Copyright and other proprietary rights relating to the article, such as patent rights,
- The right to use the substance of the article in own future works, including lectures and books,
- The right to reproduce the article for own purposes,
- The right to self-archive the article
- The right to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the article's published version (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal (IRJC).