4. CONSTRAINTS FACED BY LIVESTOCK FARMERS IN ADOPTION OF DAIRY FARMING TECHNOLOGIES IN BHAVNAGAR DISTRICT OF GUJARAT by N.H. JOSHI1, S.M. PRAJAPATI1 AND A.C. VAIDYA
Keywords:Constraints, Livestock farmers, Adoption, Dairy farming technology, Mahuva taluka.
India has apex position in livestock population and milk production in the world, but per capita milk production is low due to certain reasons. In India, most of livestock farmers belong to small house hold farming community and carrying out traditional practices. This study was carried out to know the main constraints faced by the livestock farmers in adopting dairy farming technology at grass root level. Study was limited to only twenty (20) villages of the Mahuwa taluka of Bhavnagar district in Gujarat. From each village, ten (10) farmers were randomly interviewed and thus it comprises of total two hundred (200). The study was carried out by using an ex-post facto design. About half of the farmers belonged to middle age group and had primary level education. Most of them had large family size and belongs to joint family. Majority of livestock farmers kept buffalo as a livelihood source. Nearly half of them had small land holding with medium (Rs.80, 001 to 2, 50,000) annual income. Major constraints found during this study were high cost of technology, high expenses in other inputs of livestock farming, low profit in dairy farming, poor economic condition and small herd size.
How to Cite
Authors retain all their rights to the published works, such as (but not limited to) the following rights;
- Copyright and other proprietary rights relating to the article, such as patent rights,
- The right to use the substance of the article in own future works, including lectures and books,
- The right to reproduce the article for own purposes,
- The right to self-archive the article
- The right to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the article's published version (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal (LSL).