1. ENERGY CONSUMPTION IN GREENHOUSE FOR CUCUMBER CULTIVATION IN CHHATTISGARH by ANUSHA SINGH, MANISHA SAHU, V.M. VICTOR AND HARSHIT MISHRA
Cucumber is one of the most widely grown warm season crops in India and has an increasing demand in global and national market due to its versatility. The present research was done to work out the energy input in greenhouse cucumber cultivation in experimental field of IGKV, Raipur, Chhattisgarh. For the cultivation of crops soil-less culture was adopted and coco peat in hydroponic troughs were used as growing media. The objective of this study was to determine the total energy input that is consumed in greenhouse cultivation of cucumber and the factors which contribute to it. Also other objectives were to determine total output of cucumber for a season in terms of energy and calculate various energy indices. The results revealed that protected cucumber cultivation is an intensive process and it consumed a total of 10818 MJ of energy per hectare. Total output in terms of energy was found out to be 276.65 MJ per hectare. Higher energy input was majorly due to framed structure and glazing materials used, electricity and human labour. The assessment of input and output energies helped us in comparing the both and hence were significant for establishing the priorities for optimization of energy.
KEY WORDS: Cucumber, Energy, Specific energy, Energy ratio, Human labour, Energy output.
How to Cite
Authors retain all their rights to the published works, such as (but not limited to) the following rights;
- Copyright and other proprietary rights relating to the article, such as patent rights,
- The right to use the substance of the article in own future works, including lectures and books,
- The right to reproduce the article for own purposes,
- The right to self-archive the article
- The right to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the article's published version (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal (LSL).