2. TREATMENT OF LERNEA CYPRINACEA INFESTATION IN BLUE MOLLY, POECILIA SPHENOPS by RAVINDRAGOUDA PATIL1, N. MANJAPPA1, K.S. MANJUNATHA GOWDA1 AND PRIYANAKA M GOWDA1
The incidence of Lernaea cyprinacea infestation on the ornamental fish species, Poecilia sphenops (Blue Molly) and its treatment has been reported in the present study. Fish were collected from 2 m2 cement ponds maintained at Fisheries Research and Information Center, KVAFSU, Hesaraghatta, Bengaluru, Karnataka. The average number of Lernaea cyprinacea per fish before treatment was estimated to be 7.63± 0.59 for T1, 6.57± 0.66 for T2, 6.73± 0.41 for T3 and 6.93± 0.39 for control. In the present study, the basibiont, Lernaea cyprinacea was covered predominantly by colonies of peritrichous ciliate such as Epistylis, followed by rotifers and also occasionally by filamentous algae, Oscillatoria and diatoms.Three different treatments with 2% NaCl for 20 minutes (T1), 5 ppm KMnO4 for 30 seconds (T2) and 5 ppm Formalin for 30 seconds (T3) were used in the present study. The average number of basibiont, L. cyprinacea per fish after the treatment was estimated to be 3.03±0.42 for T1, 2.67±0.27 for T2, 3.30±0.24 for T3 and 6.93± 0.39 for control. It was observed in the present study that 5 ppm KMnO4 for 30 seconds gave the best results when compared to the other two treatments with NaCl and formalin.
KEY WORD: Lernaea cyprinacea, Poecilia sphenops, NaCl, KMnO4, Formalin, Treatment.
How to Cite
Authors retain all their rights to the published works, such as (but not limited to) the following rights;
- Copyright and other proprietary rights relating to the article, such as patent rights,
- The right to use the substance of the article in own future works, including lectures and books,
- The right to reproduce the article for own purposes,
- The right to self-archive the article
- The right to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the article's published version (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal (LSL).