A review: Comparative study of corrosion inhibition of metals by using inhibitors and inhibitors assembled on nano particles in acidic media
There is an intensive effort underway to develop new plant origin corrosion inhibitors for metal subjected to various environmental conditions. These efforts have been motivated by the desire to replace toxic inhibitors used for mitigation of corrosion of various metals and alloys in aqueous solutions. Green inhibitors represent a class of interesting source of compounds currently being explored for use in metal corrosion protection in most systems, as possible replacement of toxic synthetic inhibitors. In this review article, research results on the use of eco-friendly corrosion inhibitors have been summarized. A general introduction to the topic of corrosion mitigation by inhibitors is presented followed by extensive literature survey on the use of natural inhibitors for corrosion control of metals and alloys in different corrosive media. This reports an overview of the consumption of green inhibitors to shield metals from corrosion as well as the current research on utilization of nanoparticles in inhibitors molecules. Nanoparticles has the large surface to volume ratio, due to large surface area it has tendency to form layer on the metal surfaces thereby, increasing the efficiency of the inhibitor by incorporating nanoparticles when compared with alone. Further, in most of the cases, the inhibition efficiency can be raised with the increase in temperature and time by treating green inhibitor with nanoparticles for the corrosion of metals in aggressive media.
1. Thompson, N.G., Yunovich, M., and Dunmire, D. corrosion rev., 25 (4), (2007), 247-262.
2. Brundtland, G.H. our common future, Oxford University Press, New York, (1987).
3. Hutzinger,O, Environmetal science Pollut. Res., 6, (1999), 123.
4. Desimone, L. and Popoff, F. Eco-efficiency: The Business Link to Sustainable Development, MIT Press, Cambridge, MA. (2000).
5. Fukutani, E., and Akiba, T., The relation between corrosiofn propeller shaft and zinc anode for cathodic protection of propeller. Corros. Eng., 10, (1961), 289-292.
6. Richard E. Ricker, Mark R. Stoudt, James F. Dante, James L. Fink,Carlos R. Beauchamp and Thomas P. Moffat ,corrosion of metals, Materials science and Engineering Laboratory ,(1992).
7. S. Papavinasam, Corrosion inhibitors, Uhlig’s corrosion handbook, (2000), 1091-1092.
8. U.R. Evans, An introduction to metallic corrosion 3, (1981), 196-200.
9. Bharat Bhushan (Ed.), Hand book of Nanotechnology, 3rd edition, Springer, Germany (2004).
10. Jan. G. Korvink and Andreas Greiner, Semiconductors for micro and nanotechnology: An introduction for engineers, Wiely (2002).
11. Rainer Wasser (Ed.), Nanotechnology: Volume 3: Information technology 1, Wiely-VCH (2008).
12. K. Bogunia-Kubik and M. Sugisaka, from molecular biology to nanotechnology and nanomedicine, Biosystems, 65, (2002), 123.
13. Alexandra Navrotsky, Materials and nanotechnology, J. Franklin Institute 340, (2003), 263.
14. Laura Mazzola, Commercializing nanotechnology, Nature Biotechnol. 21, (2003), 1137.
15. Andreas Stein, Energy storage: Batteries take charge, Nature Nanotechnol. 6, (2011), 262.
16. Javier Garcia-Martinez (Ed.), Nanotechnology for the energy challenge, Wiley-VCH, (2010).
17. Mohamed Henini, Nanotechnology-growing in a shrinking world, Focus on Nanotechnology, 11, (1998), 30.
18. Mark Wiesner, Jean-Yves Bottero, Environmental nanotechnology: Applications and impacts of nanomaterials, McGraw-Hill, (2007).
19. M. Geller, F. Hopfer and D. Bimberg, Nanostructures for nanoelectronics: No potential for room temperature applications Micro electronics journal 39, (2008), 302.
20. S.K Sahoo, S. Parveen and J.J Panda, The present future of nanotechnology in human health care, Nanomedicine 3, (2007), 20.
21. M. R. Mohamadi, L. mahmoudian, N. Kaji, M. Tokeshi, H. Chuman and Y. Baba, Nanotechnology for genomics and proteomics, Nanotoday ,1 ,(2006) ,38.
22. Lloyd M. Smith, Nanotechnology: Molecular robots on the move, nature 465, (2010), 167.
23. Daniel Minoli, nanotechnology applications to telecommunications and networking, Wiely &Sons, NewJersy, (2006).
24. Y. Wang, J. Zhu, X. Yang, L. Lu, X. Wang, Thermochim. Acta 437, (2005), 106.
25. F. Chen, H. Hong, Y. Zhang, H. F. Valdovinos, S. Shi, G. S. Kwon, C. P. Theuer, T. E.Barnhart, W. Cai, ACS Nano, 7, (2013), 9027.
26. A.S.EL-Gaber, A.S. Fouda, A.M. EL Desoky, synergistic inhibition of zinc corrosion by Some anions in aqueous media, Ciência & Tecnologia dos Materiais, 20, (3), (2008),71-77.
27. A.S. Fouda, M. Abdallah & S.T.Atwa, M.M.Salem, Tetrahydrocarbazole Derivatives as Corrosion Inhibitors for Zinc in HCl Solution, Modern Applied Science, 4(12), (2010), 41-55.
28. Khulood Al-Saadie, corrosion inhibition of zinc in hydrochloric acid medium by thiourea and guanidine, Iraqi Journal of Science, 49(1), (2008),29-34.
29. M.D. Shah, A.S. Patel, G.V. Mudaliar and N.K. Shah, Schiff Bases of Triethylenetetramine as Corrosion Inhibitors of Zinc in Hydrochloric Acid, Portugaliae Electrochimica Acta, 29(2), (2011), 101-113.
30. Lin Wang, Jian-Xin Pu, Hui-Chun Luo, Corrosion inhibition of zinc in phosphoric acid solution by 2-mercaptobenzimidazole, Corrosion Science, 45(4), (2003), 677–683.
31. A.O. James and O. Akaranta, Inhibition of Corrosion of Zinc in Hydrochloric Acid Solution by Red Onion Skin Acetone Extract, Res.J.Chem.Sci., 1(1), (2011),31-37.
32. A.V. Shanbhag, T.V. Venkatesha, R.A. Prabhu and B.M. Praveen, Inhibition effects of acetyl coumarines and thiazole derivatives on corrosion of zinc in acidic medium, Bull. Mater. Sci., 34(3), (2011), 571–576.
33. B.S. Shylesha, T.V. Venkatesha and B. M. Praveen, New Electro active compounds as corrosion inhibitors for zinc in acidic medium, Advances in Applied Science Research, 2(2), (2011), 333-341.
34. T.Yanardağ, M. Küyükoğlu and A.A.Aksüt, the effect of organic compounds on the corrosion of Zinc in aqueous soultions, Commun. Fac. Sci. Univ. Ank. Series B, 56 (1), (2010), 1- 13.
35. Khulood AL-Saadie, Nadia Abdul Karime and Israa M Al-Mousawi, corrosion inhibition of zinc in hydrochloric acid medium using urea inhibitor, J. of Al-Nahrain University, 10(2), (2007), 31-38.
36. R.T.Vashi, H.M.Bhajiwala and S.A.Desai, Ethanolamines as Corrosion Inhibitors for Zinc in (HNO3 + H2SO4) Binary Acid Mixture, E-Journal of Chemistry, 7(2), (2010), 665-668.
37. R.T.Vashi, S.A.Desai and P.S.Desai, Nitro aniline as corrosion inhibitor for Zinc in nitric acid, J. of Environmental Research and Development, July-September, 3(1), (2008), 97-104.
38. M. Abdallah, Ethoxylated fatty alcohols as corrosion inhibitors for dissolution of zinc in hydrochloric acid, Corrosion Science, 45(12), (2003), 2705–2716.
39. Hong Ju, Yan Li, Nicotinic acid as anon toxic corrosion inhibitor for hot dipped Zn and Zn-AL alloy coating on steels in diluted hydrochloric acid, Corrosion Science, 49(11),(2007), 4185–4201.
40. J. Hisham El-Aila, M. Hassan Tamouse, H. Nabil Amin, A. Mohamed El-Jboour, Some Organic Additives as Corrosion Inhibitors for Zinc in Acetic Acid Media, Jordan Journal of Chemistry, 6(3),(2011), 321-337.
41. Orubite -Okorosaye and K oforka, Corrosion Inhibition of Zinc on HCl using Nypa fruticans Wurmb Extract and 1,5 Diphenyl Carbazone, J. Appl. Sci. Environ., 8 (1), (2004), 57 – 61.
42. G. acharya ,H. Sachin, S.Shiva, Y.Naik, and T.Venkateshsha, Surface treatment of zinc by Schiff’s bases and its corrosion study, Russian journal of electrochemistry, 43 (7), (2007), 844-849.
43. S .Rajappa, T.Venkatesha and B .Praveen, Chemical treatment of zinc surface and its corrosion inhibition studies, Bull. Mater. Sci., 31, (2008), 37–41.
44. Emad Yousif, Yip-Foo Win, Ali H. Al-Hamadani, Ahmed A. Al-Amiery,Abdul Amir H. Kadhum, Abu Bakar Mohamad ,Furosemide as an Environmental-Friendly Inhibitor of Corrosion of Zinc metal in Acid Medium: Experimental and Theoretical studies, Int. J. Electrochem. Sci., 10, (2015), 1708 – 1715.
45. FS. de Souza and A. Spinelli Corrosion Science, 51(3), (2008), 642-649.
46. S. Kumara, P. Daveb and N.K. Shah, experimental studies on the inhibition effect of aniline-N-(P-Methoxybenzylidene) schiff base on zinc corrosion in hydrochloric acid,international research journal of chemistry (IRJC) ,(2014),2321.
47. S.A. Odoemelam, E.C. Ogoko, B.I. Ita, and N.O. Eddy, Inhibition of the Corrosion of Zinc in H2SO4 by 9-deoxy-9aaza-9a-methyl-9a-homoerythromycin A (Azithromycin), Portugaliae Electrochimica Acta 27(1),(2009),57-68.
48. J. H. Henriquez-Rom´an, M. Sancy, M. A. P´aez et al., “The influence of aniline and its derivatives on the corrosion behaviour of copper in acid solution,” Journal of Solid State Electrochemistry, 9 (7), (2005), 504–511.
49. Titova I.E., Guseva V.A., Zashch. Metal, 4(5), (1968), 588.
50. Vahldieck, Juergon, Langguth, Corrosion inhibitor for metal etching, Klaus. Buchmann. Gerhard.Ger. 60, (1968), 679.
51. Rajagopalan S. Subramanyan Nummattithidal, Neyyappa Narayana swami Sundram, Indian Patent, (1969), 414.
52. Antropov L.I., Vrzhoick G.G., Dremova G.I., Panasenko V.F., Pogrebova I.S., Zashch. Metal, 6(4), (1970) 440.
53. Subramanyan N., Ramkrishnaih K., Proc. Semin. Electrochem., 14,(1973), 387.
54. Herbert Clark D., Corrosion inhibitor composition, US 3, 979, 311.
55. Shams El Din A.M., El Hosary A.A., Saleh R.M., Abd. El-Kader J.M., Werkst. Korros., 28(1), (1977), 26.
56. Petrenko A.T., Zashsch. Met., 18(2), (1982), 275.
57. Ryszard Mellerowicz, Pol. PL 109, 816 (cl. C23F11/04), (1982).
58. E.I. Ating, S.A. Umoren, I.I. Udousoro, E.E. Ebenso and A.P. Udoh, Green Chem. Lett. Rev. 3, (2010), 61-68.
59. I.B. Obot, S.A. Umoren and N.O. Obi-Egbedi, J. Mater. Environ. Sci. 2, (2011), 60-71.
60. A. Singh, I. Ahamad and M.A. Quraishi, Arabian J. Chem. (2012).
61. A.I. Ali, J. Mater. Environ. Sci. 5, (2014), 793-802.
62. S. Sathiya, K. Bharathi and S. Geetha, J. Environ. Nanotechnol. 3, (2014), 1-8.
63. F.Suedile, F. Robert, C. Roos,M. Lebrini, Corrosion inhibition of zinc by Mansoa alliacea plant extract in sodium chloride media: Extraction, Characterization and Electrochemical Studies, 12,(2013),70.
64. I.B. Obota, S. A Umorena and A.S. Johnsona , Sunlight- mediated synthesis of silver nanoparticles using honey and its promising anticorrosion potentials for mild steel in acidic environments, J. Mater. Environ. Sci. 4(6), (2013), 1013-1018.
65. A.J Chinweuba, Comparative Analysis of Corrosion Inhibition Properties of Allium Cepa Extract on Mild Steel and Zinc, Journal of Natural Sciences Research,4, (2014), 6.
66. D.G. Ladha, U.J. Naik and N.K. Shah, Investigation of Cumin (Cuminum Cyminum) extract as an eco-friendly green corrosion inhibitor for pure Aluminium in Acid medium, J. Mater. Environ. Sci., 4 (5) (2013), 701-708.
67. A. Bouyanzer, B. Hammouti, L. Majidi and B. Haloui , Testing Natural Fenugreek as an Ecofriendly Inhibitor for Steel Corrosion in 1 M HCl, Portugaliae Electrochimica Acta, 28(3), (2010),165-172.
68. E. Azzam and A. Aal, Corrosion inhibition efficiency of synthesized poly 12-(3-amino phenoxy) dodecane-1-thiol surfactant assembled on silver nanoparticles, Egyptian Journal of Petroleum, (2013).
69. M. Ayman, A. Hamad, A. Allohedan, Gamal A, El-Mahdy, and Abdel-Rahman O. Ezzat, Application of Stabilized Silver Nanoparticles as Thin Films as Corrosion Inhibitors for Carbon Steel Alloy in 1M Hydrochloric Acid, Journal of Nanomaterials,3,(2013).
70. Ayman M. Atta, Gamal A. El-Mahdy, Hamad A. Al-Lohedan and Sami A. Al-Hussain, Corrosion Inhibition of Mild Steel in Acidic Medium by Magnetite Myrrh Nanocomposite, Int. J. Electrochem. Sci., 9, (2014), 8446 – 8457.
71. J. Tedim, S. K. Poznyak, A. Kuznetsova, D. Raps, T. Hack, M. L. Zheludkevich, and M. Ferreira, Enhancement of Active Corrosion Protection via Combination of Inhibitor-Loaded Nanocontainers, Applied materials and interfaces, 2,(2010),1528–1535.
72. Xianming Shi, Tuan Anh Nguyen, Zhiyong Suo, Yajun Liu, Recep AvciXianming Shi,Tuan Anh Nguyen, Zhiyong Suo, Yajun Liu and Recep Avci, Effect of nanoparticles on the anticorrosion and mechanical properties of epoxy coating, Surface & Coatings Technology, 204 ,(2009), 237–245.
73. S. Vidhya and Dr. A. Leema Rose, evaluation of solanum nigrum leaf extract as a corrosion inhibitor and reductant for the green synthesis of gold nanoparticles , Int. J. Res. Dev. Pharm. L. Sci., 3, (2014), 1011-1021.
74. Nnabuk O., Benedict I., Simon N. and Elaoyi D., Inhibitive and adsorption properties of ethanol extract of Hibiscus sabdariffa calyx for the corrosion of mild steel in 0.1 M HCl, Green Chemistry Letters and Reviews, 5, (2012), 43-53.
75. Roohangiz Zandi Zand, Kim Verbeken and Annemie Adriaens, Influence of the Cerium Concentration on the Corrosion Performance of Ce-doped Silica Hybrid Coatings on Hot Dip Galvanized Steel Substrates, Int. J. Electrochem. Sci., 8,(2013), 548 – 563.
76. Poonam M. Wadhwania, Divya G. Ladhaa, Vikram K. Panchal, and Nisha K. Shah, Enhancement of corrosion inhibitive properties of p-methoxybenzylidene-4,4'-dimorpholine by assembling on nickelous oxide nanoparticles for mild steel in acid medium and its impact on kinetic parameters,5,(2015),7098-7111.
77. Nnabuk Okon Eddy, Fermentation product of Streptomyces griseus (albomycin) as a green inhibitor for the corrosion of zinc in H2SO4 , Green Chemistry Letters and Reviews, 3,(2010), 307-314.
78. Sviatlana L., Mikhail Z., Kiril. Y., M. Fatima Montemor, Patricia C., Ma´rio G, TiOx self-assembled networks prepared by templating approach as nanostructured reservoirs for self-healing anticorrosion pre-treatments, Electrochemistry Communications, 8, (2006), 421–428.
79. Abdulwahab M. , Fayomi I., Popoola P., Asuke F., Umoru E., Effect of Avogadro natural oil on the corrosion inhibition of mild steel in hydrochloric acid solution, Res Chem Intermed,40, (2014),1115–1123.
80. Taleb H. Ibrahim, Youssef Chehade and Mohamed Abou Zour , Corrosion Inhibition of Mild Steel using Potato Peel Extract in 2M HCl Solution , Int. J. Electrochem. Sci., 6, (2011), 6542 - 6556.
81. M.A. Quraishi, Dileep Kumar Yadav and Ishtiaque Ahamad , Green Approach to Corrosion Inhibition by Black Pepper Extract in Hydrochloric Acid Solution , The Open Corrosion Journal, 2, (2009), 56-60 .
82. Srivastava K and Srivastava P, Studies on plant materials as corrosion inhibitors. Br. Corros. J. 16(4), (1981), 221- 223.
83. Saleh RM, Ismail AA and El Hosary AA, Corrosion inhibition by naturally occurring substances. VII. The effect of aqueous extracts of some leaves and fruit peels on the corrosion of steel, aluminum, zinc and copper in acids", Br. Corros. J. 17(3), (1982), 131-135.
84. Etre AY and El-Tantawy Z, Inhibition of metallic corrosion using Ficus extract, Portugaliae Electrochimica Acta, 24, (2006), 347-356.
85. Toshiyasu Nishimura and Vedarajan Raman, Corrosion Prevention of Aluminum Nanoparticles by a Polyurethane Coating, Materials,7, (2014), 4710-4722.
86. Roohangiz Zandi Zand , Kim Verbeken , Annemie Adriaens, Evaluation of the Corrosion Inhibition Performance of Silane Coatings Filled with Cerium Salt-Activated Nanoparticles on Hot-Dip Galvanized Steel Substrates, Int. J. Electrochem. Sci., 8, (2013), 4924 – 4940.
87. I. Zamblau,a S. Varvara,b C. Bulea,c and L. M. Muresana, Corrosion Behavior of Composite Coatings Obtained by Electrolytic Codeposition of Copper with Al2O3Nanoparticles, Chem. Biochem. Eng. Q. 23 (1),(2009),43–52.
88. M.F. Montemor , M.G.S. Ferreira, Cerium salt activated nanoparticles as fillers for silane films: Evaluation of the corrosion inhibition performance on galvanised steel substrates, Electrochimica Acta, 52, (2007) , 6976–6987.
89. A. K. Singh, M. A. Quraishi, Piroxicam; A novel corrosion inhibitor for mild steel corrosion in HCl acid solution, J. Mater. Environ. Sci., 1 (2), (2010), 101-110.
90. V.G. Vasudhara and R. Saratha, Studies on Inhibition of Acid Corrosion of Mild Steel by Terminalia catappa (Tropical Almond) Leaves, Orient. J. Chem., 27(3), (2011), 1165-1171.
91. Sanusi Kazeem Oladele and Hussein Kehinde Okoro , Investigation of corrosion effect of mild steel on orange juice , African Journal of Biotechnology ,10(16), (2011), 3152-3156.
92. J.T. Nwabanne and V.N. Okafor, Inhibition of the Corrosion of Mild Steel in Acidic Medium by Vernonia Amygdalina: Adsorption and Thermodynamics Study, Scholarlink Research Institute Journals, (2011), 2141-7016.
93. Satapathy, A.K., Gunasekaran, G., Sahoo, S.C., Kumar Amit, and Rodrigues, P.V. Corrosion inhibition by Justicia gendarussa plant extract in hydrochloric acid solution, Corrosion Science, 51, (2009), 2848-2856.
94. S.H.S. Dananjaya, M. Edussuriya and A.S. Dissanayake , Inhibition action of Lawsone on the corrosion of mild steel in acidic media, The Online Journal of Science and Technology,2 (2), (2012).
95. J.Rosaline Vimala, A. Leema Rose, S. Raja, Cassia auriculata extract as Corrosion inhibitor for Mild Steel in Acid medium, Int.J. ChemTech Res., 3(4), (2011).
96. N S Patel, S Jauhariand, G N Mehta, S. S. Al-Deyab, I. Warad, B. Hammouti, Mild Steel Corrosion Inhibition by Various Plant Extracts in 0.5M Sulphuric acid, Int. J. Electrochem. Sci., 8, (2013), 2635 – 2655.
97. N. GUNAVATHY and S. C. MURUGAVEL , Corrosion Inhibition Studies of Mild Steel in Acid Medium Using Musa Acuminata Fruit Peel Extract , E-Journal of Chemistry , 9(1), (2012), 487-495.
98. Mohamed A.K., J. Chim. Phys. Phys. Chim. Biol., 96(5), (1999), 830.
99. Petrenko A.T., Zashsch. Met., 18(2), (1982), 275.
100. Halambek J., Berkovic K., Vorkapic-Furac J., Corrosion Science 52, (2010), 3978-3983.
101. H€usn€u Gerengi and Halil Ibrahim Sahin , Schinopsis lorentzii Extract As a Green Corrosion Inhibitor for Low Carbon Steel in 1 M HCl Solution, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 51, (2012), 780–787.
102. C. A. Loto, R.T. Loto and A.P.I. Popoola , Inhibition Effect of Extracts of Carica Papaya and Camellia Sinensis Leaves on the Corrosion of Duplex (α β) Brass in 1M Nitric acid, Int. J. Electrochem. Sci., 6, (2011), 4900 – 4914.
103. Ambrish Singh, Eno E. Ebenso, M.A. Quraishi, Stem Extract of Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri) as Green Corrosion Inhibitor for Aluminum in NaOH Solution, Int. J. Electrochem. Sci., 7, (2012), 3409 – 3419.
104. A. P. I Popoola and O. S. Fayomi, Environmental failure of 2 M acid strength on zinc electroplated mild steel in the presence of Nicotiana Tobacum, Scientific Research and Essays Vol. 6(14), (2011), 3079-3088.
105. Umoren S.A, Eduok U.M., Israel A.U., Obot I.B. and Solomon M.M., Coconut coir dust extract: a novel eco-friendly corrosion inhibitor for Al in HCl solutions, Green Chemistry Letters and Reviews, 5 (3), (2012), 303-313.
106. A.M.Abdel-Gaber , The inhibitive effect of fenugreek (Trigonell foenum graecum) seeds extract on the corrosion of zinc in aqueous solution of 0.5 M sulphuric acid , International Journal of Applied Chemistry, 3, (2007),1973-1792.
107. K.Oluegum and A.O.James, The effect of the extract of Aloe vera leaves on the corrosion of zinc in 2.0 M HCl, Corrosion Science, 18(2), (2009), 280.
108. A.A.El Hosary, R.M.Saleh and A.M.Shams El Din, The effect of Hibiscus subdariffa (Karkade) extract on the dissolution of Al and Zn in NaOH Corrosion Science, 12, (1972), 897-904.