PROTECTIVE EFFECT OF GREEN TEA EXTRACT ON GENTAMICIN INDUCED GASTRO- AND HEPATOTOXICITY IN RATS
Activity of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase increased whereas that of malic enzyme decreased. However, GT given to GM rats improved the overall metabolism, enhanced antioxidant defense and energy metabolism. The BBM enzymes were differentially altered by GT.
KEY WORD: Antioxidants; Green tea; Gentamicin; Carbohydrate metabolism, Intestine; Liver.
1. Farooq N, Yusufi ANK, Mahmood R. Effect of fasting on enzymes of carbohydrate metabolism and brush border membrane in rat intestine. Nutr Res. 24 (2004) 407-416.
2. Farooq N et al. Influence of Ramadan type fasting on enzymes of carbohydrate metabolism and brush border membrane in small intestine and liver of rat used as a model. Br J Nutr. 96
3. Farooq N, Priyamvada S, Khan F, Yusufi ANK. Time dependent effect of gentamicin on enzymes of carbohydrate metabolism and terminal digestion in rat intestine. Hum Exp Toxicol.; 26 (2007) 587-593.
4. Banday AA, Farooq N, Priyamvada S, Yusufi ANK, Khan F. Time dependent effects of gentamicin on the enzymes of carbohydrate metabolism, brush border membrane and oxidative stress in rat kidney tissues. Life Sci. 82(9) (2008) 450-459.
5. Khan SA, Priyamvada S, Khan S, Khan MW and Yusufi ANK. Protective effect of green tea extract on gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity and oxidative stress in kidney and other rat tissues. Pharmacol Res. 59(4) (2009a) 254-262.
6. Khan S, Priyamvada S., Khan, SA, Khan MW, Farooq N, Khan F and Yusufi ANK. Effect of trichloroethylene (TCE) toxicity on the enzymes of carbohydrate metabolism, BBM, and oxidative stress in kidney and other rat tissues. Food Chem Toxicol 47 (2009b) 1562-1568.
7. Nagai J, Takano M. Molecular aspects of renal handling of aminoglycosides and strategies for preventing the nephrotoxicity. Drug Metab Pharmacokin 19 (2004) 159-170.
8. Tulkens PM. Nephrotoxicity of aminoglycoside antibiotics. Toxicol. Lett. 46 (1999) 727-737.
9. Kohn S, Fradis M, Robinson E, Iancu TC. Hepatotoxicity of combined treatment with cisplatin and Gentamicin in the guinea pig. Ultrastruct. Pathol. 29 (2005) 129-137.
10. Ozturk HS, Kavutcu M, Kacmaz M, Canbolat O, Durak I. The effects of Gentamicin on the activities of glutathione peroxidase and superoxide dismutase enzymes and malondialdehyde levels in heart tissues of guinea pigs. Curr. Med. Res. Opin. 14 (1997) 47-52.
11. Soberon L, Bowman RL, Pastoriza-Munoz E, Kaloyanides GJ. Comparative nephrotoxicities of gentamicin, netilmicine and tobramycin in the rat. J Pharmaco Exp Ther 210 (1979) 334-343.
12. Parker, DS. Manipulation of the functional activity of the gut by dietary and other means (antibiotics/probiotics) in ruminants. J Nutr 120 (1990) 639-648.
13. Jacabson ED, Prier JT, Faloon WW. Malabsorptive syndrome induced by neomycin. Morphologic alterations in the jejunal mucosa. J Lab Clin Med 56 (1960) 245-50.
14. Faloon WW, Paes IC, Woolfolk D, Nankin H, Wallace K, Haro EN. Effect of neomycin and kanamycin upon intestinal absorption. Annals New York Acad Sci 132: (1966) 879-87.
15. Paes IC, Searl P, Rubert MW, Faloon WW. Intestinal lactase deficiency and saccharide malabsorption during oral neomycin administration. Gastroenterol.53 (1967) :49-58.
16. Goldhill JM, Rosek, Perry WH. Effects of antibiotics on epithelial ion transport in the rabbit distal colon in vitro. J Pharm Pharmacol. 48: (1996) 651-656.
17. Thadepalli, H, Lou, MA, Prabhala, RH, Mandal,AK. Human intestine tissue antibiotic concentrations, Clindamycin, gentamicin and mezlocillin. Ann Surg. 56 (1990):655-658.
18. Khan N, Mukhtar H. Tea polypohenols for health promotion. Life Sci.2007; 81:519-533.
19. Alschuler L. Green tea: Healing tonic. Am J Natur Med. 5 (1998) 28-31.
20. Spencer JPE. Metabolism of tea flavanoids in the gastrointestinal tract. J Nutr. 133: (2003) 3255S-3261S.
21. Setiawan VW, Zhang ZF, Yu GP et al. Protective effect of green tea on the risks of chronic gastritis and stomach cancer. Int J Cancer 92 (2001) 600-604.
22. Mukhtar H, Ahmad N. Tea polyphenols: prevention of cancer and optimizing health. Am J Clin Nutr 71(6) (2000) 1698S-1702S.
23. Goto K, Kanaya S, Nishikawa T. Green tea catechins improve the gut flora. Ann Long-Term Care 6 (1998) 1-7.
24. Safar S, Abdeen S, Dashti H, Khoursheed M, Al-Sayer H, Mathew T, Al Badar A. Effect of green tea in the prevention and reversal of fasting-induced intestinal mucosal damage. Nutr. 19: (2003) 536-540.
25. Suganuma M, Okabe S, Kai Y, Sueoka E, Fujiki H. Green tea and cancer chemoprevention. Mutat Res. 428 (1999) 339-344.
26. Alic M. Green Tea for remission maintenance in Crohn’s disease? Am J Gastroenterol. 94 (1999) 1710.
27. Sano T and Sasako M. Green tea and gastric cancer. N. Engl. J. Med. 344 (200):675-676.
28. Koo MWL, Cho CH. Pharmacological effects of green tea on the gastrointestinal system. Eur J Pharmacol. 500 (2004) -185.
29. Luper S. A review of plants used in the treatment of liver disease: part two. Alt Med Rev. 4(3): (1999) 178-188.
30. Khan SA, Priyamvada S, Arivarasu N.A., Khan S and Yusufi A.N.K. Influence of green tea on enzymes of carbohydrate metabolism, antioxiodant defense and plasma membrane in rat tissues. Nutr. 23 (2007) 687-695.
31. Khan SA, Priyamvada S, Khan MW, Khan S, Farooq N, and Yusufi ANK. Studies on the protective effect of green tea against cisplatin induced nephrotoxicity. Pharmacol Res. 60: (2009c) 382-391.
32. Khan SA, Priyamvada S, Yusufi ANK. Protective effect of green tea extract on gentamicin- and cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity. Chapter 52 in ‘Tea in Health and Disease prevention’, 2012, Elsevier Publication.
33. Kessler M, Acuto O, Storelli C, Murer H , Muller M, Semenza G. A modified procedure for the rapid preparation of efficiently transporting vesicles from small intestinal brush border membranes. Their use in investigating some properties of D-glucose and choline transport systems. Biochim Biophys Acta. 50: (1978) 136-154.
34. Khundmiri SJ, Asghar M, Banday AA, Khan F, Salim S, Levi M, Yusufi ANK. Effect of ischemia and reperfusion on sodium dependent phosphate transport in renal brush border membranes. Biochem Biophys Acta 1716 (2005) 19-28.
35. Crane RK, Sols A. The association of particulate fractions of brain and other tissue homogenates. J Biol Chem. 203: (1953) 273-292.
36. Nelson NA. photometric adaptation of the Somogyi method for the determination of glucose. J Biol Chem. 153, (1944) 375-381.
37. Marklund S, Marklund G. Involvement of the superoxide anion radical in the auto oxidation of pyrogallol and a convenient assay for superoxide dismutase. European J Biochem. 47, (1974) 469-474.
38. Giri U, Iqbal M, Athar M. Porphyrin - mediated photosensitization has a weak tumor promoting activity in mouse skin: possible role of in-situ generated reactive oxygen species. Carcinogenesis. 17, (1996) 2023-2028.
39. Sedlak J, Lindsay RH. Estimation of total protein bound and non protein bound SH groups in tissue with Ellman’s reagent. Anals of Biochemistry. 25 (1968) 192-20.
40. Ohkawa H, Ohishi N, Yagi K. Assay for lipid peroxides in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction. Anals of Biochemistry 95 (1979) 351-358.
41. Ishikawa Y, Inui K, Hori R. Gentamicin binding to brush border and basolateral membranes isolated from rat kidney cortex. J Pharm Dynam.;8 (1985) 931-941.
42. Liao S. The medicinal action of androgens and green tea epigallocatechin gallate. Hong Kong Med. 7 (2001) 369-374.
43. Walker PD, Barri Y, Shah SV. Oxidant mechanisms on gentamicin nephrotoxicity. Renal Fail. 21 (1999) 433-442.
44. Devipriya S and Shyamaldevim CS. Protective effect of quercetin in cisplatin-induced cell injury in the rat kidney. Indian J Pharmacol. 31(1999) 422.
45. Nalini S, Ibrahim SA, and Balasubramanian. Effect of oxidant exposure on money intestinal brush-border membrane. Biochim Biophys Acta.. 1147 (1993) 169-176.
46. Szabo C, Cuzzocrea S, Zingarelli B, Connor M, Salzman AL. Endothelial dysfunction in a rat model of endotoxic shock. J Clin Invest. 100 (1997) 723-725.
47. Naqshbandi A, Rizwan S, Khan MW, and Khan F. Dietary flax seed oil supplementation ameliorates the effect of cisplatin on brush border membrane enzymes and antioxidant system in rat intestine. Human Exp Toxicol. 32(4) (2013) 385-394.
48. Priyamvada S, Priyadarshini M, Arivarasu NA, Khan S, Khan SA, Khan MW and Yusufi ANK. Studies on the protective effect of dietary fish oil on gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity and oxidative damage in rat kidney. Prost Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 78(6) (2008) 369-81.
49. Khan MW, Arivarasu NA, Priyamvada S, Khan SA, Khan S, Yusufi ANK. Protective effect of ω-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) on sodium nitrite induced nephrotoxicity and oxidative damage in rat kidney. J Funct Foods, 2013.