COMPARISON OF ANTIHISTAMINIC POTENCY OF CETIRIZINE DIHYDROCHLORIDE AND ITS DEVELOPED FORMULATION USING ISOLATED GUINEA PIG ILEUM
A new formulation with cetirizine dihydrochloride(CTZ) as active ingredient was developed using a natural excipient,Boswellia serrata ,a gum resin. Differential scanning calorimetry was used for Drug excipient compatibility studies with various excipients during the development of (CTZ) formulation. A capsule dosage form was developed after the physico-chemical parameters of the API’s and the selected excipients mixed in specific proportions were evaluated. A validated High Performance Liquid Chromatographic method was used to assay the formulated capsule . The effect of the developed formulation of CTZ & the API CTZ on the contractions of isolated guinea pig ileum was investigated using interpolation bioassay method, wherein the potency of the formulation was found to be equivalent to the standard. It was also concluded that excipients present in the formulation did not have antihistaminic activity on histamine induced contractions of isolated guinea pig ileum.
1. S. P. Chaudhari, P. R. Patil, T. A. Deshmukh, B. W. Tekade and V.R.Patil, ,J.Pharm.Educ. Res.2(1)(2011) 61-65.
2. O. A. Odeku, Acta Pharm. 55(2005) 263-278.
3. Y. Kulkarni, and A. Veeranganeyulu, Pharmaceutical Biology. 48(12) (2010)1413-1420.
4. R. Alam, D.M. Lewis and S.A Olenchock , The J.of Immunology. 140(6) (1988)1946-1952
5. SVF Madeira, FJA Matos and DC Leal-Criddle. J Ethnopharmacol. 81(2002)1-4.
6. De1Shankhajit, Y. N. Dey and A. K. Ghosh, Journal of Pharma and Bio Sciences. 1(3)(2010)1-8.
7. B. Christophe, B .Carlier, M Gillard, P Chatelain, M Peck and R Massingham, Eur.J. Phamacol. 470 (1- 2)(2003)87- 94.